DIRECTOR OF MAJOR GIFTS
ABOUT DISCOVERY CUBE LOS ANGELES
Come join the fun and make a difference with Discovery Cube! For almost 25 years, we've been inspiring kids and educators alike with our hands-on science education initiatives and interactive exhibits. Our four core initiatives - STEM proficiency, early childhood education, healthy living, and environmental stewardship - are future-forward in promoting life-long-learning. Plus, with our immersive campuses in Orange County and Los Angeles, as well as our educational outreach programs, there are endless opportunities for learning exploration. As a prominent advocate for modern science education, we believe in empowering our learners with real-world applications and spotlighting science as a solution and force for good. Don't miss out on the excitement and join our important mission today!
Discovery Cube Los Angeles (DCLA) is seeking a Director of Major Gifts who will advance the work of the organization by identifying, cultivating, and soliciting major gifts ($5,000 and above) in support of priority campaigns and program initiatives. The successful candidate will work directly with colleagues and collaborate with volunteer and executive leadership, as well as program staff and others to enlist support for donor cultivation and solicitation strategies. The Director of Major Gifts will also build and expand the existing individual donor pipeline to obtain gifts to support annual operations, active capital campaigns, and expansion goals, as well as the overall mission of DCLA.
Leadership & Strategy
- Partner with the ED to design and lead the implementation of annual and long-term fund development plans.
- Perform comprehensive analysis and interpret statistical data to effectively forecast revenue and effectiveness of strategies to ensure the development of programs that will
- maximize individual gifts.
- Monitor goals and report on the execution of the annual fundraising plan.
- Manage and monitor all contributions from assigned donors in the portfolio and support the CRM database administrator in maintaining accurate data and donor records.
- Support and collaborate with fellow staff members in achieving department goals.
Individual & Corporate Giving
- Plan, manage and track all aspects of the individual and corporate giving donor program at DCLA.
- Develop compelling proposals and presentations tailored to corporate partners & interests and business objectives.
- Identify and engage potential corporate partners for sponsorship, philanthropy, and cause related marketing opportunities.
- Create and implement stewardship strategies to recognize new and existing individual donors and plan events/activities to cultivate new prospective individual donors.
- Design individual, customized donor communications and proposals, maintaining regular correspondence and personal contact with assigned donors and prospects.
- Manage a portfolio of major gift prospects at $5,000 and above using a moves management framework.
- Support the ED and CEO in their fundraising efforts by preparing them for meetings and events with individuals and drafting appropriate correspondence from the ED and CEO to individual donors ($1K and above).
- Help to develop all written communications, including solicitations, e-newsletters, website acknowledgments, and stewardship communications for individual donor programs.
Volunteer Engagement & Events
- Assist in managing any special events as it relates to donor participation or the planning of other cultivation events.
- Help identify, cultivate, train, and motivate all volunteers.
- Partner with the ED, CEO, event committee chairs, and Board members to facilitate optimum collaborations among staff and volunteers.
- Assist Board members and volunteer committee to fulfill their responsibilities effectively and manage an annual calendar of events.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in fund development and major gifts is required.
- Strong volunteer management skills, interacting and working effectively with many types of work styles.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices associated with annual giving, including direct mail, telephone, e-mail, and personal visit solicitation or relevant transferable marketing skills.
- Ability to perform comprehensive analysis of statistical data to effectively forecast strategies and develop programs that will maximize gifts.
- Strive to make an excellent first impression and develop sound, enduring relationships with a broad range of people within the Los Angeles philanthropic community, including high-level community and corporate leaders.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including public speaking.
- Ability to manage many projects at one time, prioritizing, meeting deadlines, and planning for high efficiency.
- Ability to lead, recruit, manage, develop, motivate, and organize staff and volunteers.
- A positive attitude and sense of humor.
- Strong work ethic and ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities.
- A deep commitment to the mission of Discovery Cube.
- Flexibility to work occasional weekends and evenings.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $100K-$120K. Additional benefits include the following:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Optional supplemental insurance coverage
- Flexible/hybrid work schedule
- 401K with up to 4% match after one year for full-time employees
- 14 Free general admission tickets per year
- 4 Bubblefest tickets plus admission
- 10% of on-site dining and shopping discount
- Employee discounts through ADP
- Accrued paid time off for full-time employees
- 10 paid company holidays
Discovery Cube provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Envision Consulting was retained by Discovery Cube Los Angeles to search for their incoming Director of Major Gifts.
Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application process may contact Envision Consulting at 626.889.7905 to request and arrange for assistance.