Women Organizing Resources, Knowledge, and Service – WORKS – was formed in 1998 by a small group of women committed to meaningful action to help disadvantaged families and communities build lives for themselves that work. The founders’ extensive experience in affordable housing, community development, health care, finance, and advocacy convinced them that safe affordable housing was both a fundamental need and, potentially, a springboard for families and individuals to articulate, organize and fulfill their needs and aspirations as part of a larger community.
Today, Women Organizing Resources Knowledge & Services (WORKS) is a nonprofit affordable housing development organization committed to developing strong, sustainable communities and partnering with residents to advance family and individual viability with more than 26 developed properties and a strong reputation in the Los Angeles community.
ABOUT THE POSITION (SEE CANDIDATE PROFILE)
WORKS is seeking a dynamic, experienced Executive Director to further the mission through the development of low-cost affordable housing including permanent supportive housing with an emphasis on sustainable development. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will be responsible for the strategic growth, board development, recruitment, and fiscal strength of the organization. With a strong understanding of affordable housing developments, this candidate will be able to navigate through not only preserving their current portfolio but anticipate and strive for the growth of new communities while having a passion to serve under-resourced populations.
This visionary leader will work collaboratively to develop systems and practices that address the interplay between systematic racism, sexism, and human services. The Executive Director will be looking for ways to improve staff morale and culture, foster job security and create a space where staff want to work and feel valued.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Organizational Leadership & Board Relations
● Works in partnership with the Board to develop the strategic plan, aligning WORKS programs with its values, mission, vision, and long-term goals.
● Solidifies current operations while planning for new opportunities.
● Develops and measures key performance metrics.
● Informs the Board on industry developments and updates governance and programs.
● Informs the Board of Directors of internal and external issues that might affect the organization, including agency relevance to the community, industry developments, and program effectiveness.
● Fosters effective teamwork with the Board of Directors and between the Board and staff, ensuring accountability of committees and individual Board members.
● Innovates and improves current practices, optimizing all aspects organizational management and service delivery.
● Manages financial planning, forecasting, and tracking to meet the agency’s short and long-term goals.
● Ensures financial stability by maintaining healthy cash flow and reserves.
● Oversees the preparation of and analyzes financial projections for all affordable housing developments.
● Assures the financial health and sustainability of the existing portfolio.
● Manages all phases of affordable housing development and finances, including new construction and substantial rehabilitation projects, from concept through lease-up and operations.
Operational Excellence & Staff Leadership
● Oversees all day-to-day operations of WORKS, including administration, human resources, finances, and fund development.
● Oversees and monitors compliance with contracts, relevant laws, and regulations.
● Oversees and assures the quality of services by key third parties including property management and supportive service providers.
● Creates a work environment that recruits, retains, and supports quality staff, while maintaining a solid level of quality.
● Strives to create a cohesive, collaborative, and supportive workplace environment, developing the leadership team.
● Ensures policies and procedures are in place to promote WORKS culture and vision.
● Initiates, leads, and implements business development and fundraising efforts in collaboration with the WORKS leadership team.
● Creates and cultivates relationships with local housing finance agencies, and federal, state, local, and private sources.
● Serves as chief spokesperson for WORKS.
● Initiates and maintains effective working relationships with community organizations, elected officials, foundations, investors, lenders, and other housing development professionals.
● Acts as an advocate, within both public and private sectors, for services and constituencies relevant to WORKS.
● Undergraduate degree in a business-related, real estate, urban planning, or other relevant degree or experience. Graduate degree is preferred.
● Prior experience as an Executive Director of a nonprofit or for-profit housing developing organization, highly desirable.
● A minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in progressively responsible roles within senior management positions.
● Strong knowledge of principles and practices of real estate development and transactions, planning, and land use approval processes, marketing of rental housing, and federal, state, and local affordable housing legislation, regulations, and funding sources.
● Strong negotiating skills in all aspects of affordable housing development and operations, including project financing, property acquisition, supervision of project development teams, property management, and hiring and supervision of corporate staff.
● Working knowledge of architectural design, discretionary approval, and construction management processes is preferred.
● Bi-lingual Spanish speaking is a plus, though not required.
● Ability to manage continuity, change, and transition and experience to influence and empower stakeholders.
● Ability to work with diverse groups of people and a wide range of faiths, beliefs, and experiences.
● Demonstrated commitment to continued professional growth and the development of employees and the Board of Directors.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Salary range for this position is $150,000/year - $180,000/year, depending on qualifications and experience. WORKS offers an exceptional benefits package including holidays, paid time off, optional retirement plans, and insurance. This position is based in Los Angeles and will operate in an on-site/hybrid fashion.
WORKS is an equal-opportunity employer. We are committed to creating a diverse and equitable work environment and we strongly encourage you to apply if you are part of the BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and people of color) and/or LGBTQIA community, are differently abled, a veteran, or are of diverse nationality or religion.
WORKS expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
Envision Consulting was retained by WORKS to conduct the search for their incoming Executive Director.