ABOUT NEW HORIZONS
New Horizons is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping individuals with special needs reach their potential and fulfill their dreams. Founded in 1954, the agency has evolved to provide job training and placement, education, counseling, residential services, and social programs to more than 1,100 individuals each year, from throughout the greater San Fernando and Santa Clarita Valleys of Los Angeles. With a commitment to providing each client with the individual attention needed to gain confidence, skills, dignity and independence at his/her/their highest level, New Horizons is on a growth trajectory, continuously innovating its programs and activities. As a leader in its field, New Horizons aims to shift society’s paradigm, creating a world where people with disabilities have the same rights and economic security afforded to all.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Reporting to the Vice President of Financial Planning and Analysis, the Cost/AP Accountant is responsible for the processing, review, reconciliation, and management of full-cycle Accounts Payable and assists with Accounts Receivable as assigned. The Cost/AP Accountant manages the cost allocation and interfund system for the parent company and four housing corporations. This position interacts with all management levels and supports and trains employees with purchasing authority. This position helps drive the monthly close and ensure accuracy of the AP and AR ledgers and supports other team members as needed. The ideal candidate is collaborative and has a “team player” mindset with the goal of supporting the agency’s mission.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversees automatic AP process, ensuring payable invoices have the correct coding, authorization, and documentation scanned with each payment request.
- Maintains organizational systems to manage the flow of payable invoices and ensure that agency obligations are paid on time.
- Recommends and uses a variety of approved methods to process payments for greatest efficiency, including but not limited to check, credit/debit card, or electronic transfer.
- Serves as internal control gatekeeper in prevention of fraud, duplication, or errors.
- Educates employees with purchasing authority on use of automatic AP process, correct coding of invoices, and related policies.
- Reviews coding of agency credit card transactions.
- Reviews vendor statements and resolves any discrepancies.
- Responds to vendor and internal requests according to customer service standards. Prepares reports and provides information as needed.
- Maintains accurate and complete vendor information, including W-9 and 1099 status, and supports vendor in transitioning to most efficient communication, invoice delivery, and payment system.
- Prepares annual 1099 Forms in accordance with IRS regulations.
- Processes payables for fixed assets in conjunction with Asset Management module.
- Flags expenses eligible for replacement reserve reimbursement and supports Property Management team in filing HUD Form 9250 on timely basis.
- Before issuing payments from facility accounts, reviews bank balances and requests funding transfers as needed.
- Reviews list of uncashed checks after 90 days of issuance and recommends resolution.
- Follows policy and procedure in voiding and/or re-issuing checks
- Reconciles AP subledgers with AP balance sheet accounts on monthly basis.
Cost Allocations and Budgets
- Monitors and updates cost allocation schedules with changes or revisions to basis.
- Creates or updates specialized allocations for insurance, SUI, audit fees, and others.
- Assists with development and review of operating expenses during annual budget process.
- Advises directors with budget authority on appropriate GL codes for budgets and coding of expenses throughout the year.
- Assists Senior Director of Contract/AR Management with development of expense line items in HUD HAP/PRAC contract renewals.
- Reviews monthly program billings as directed by VP of Financial Planning and Analysis.
- Provides monthly AR reports to Property Management and Accounting team members that identifies items for resolution or collection.
- Supports program billing process during first ten days of each month.
- Supports AR collection efforts as directed by VP of FPA.
Data Management and Support
- Becomes expert user of Beanworks, Sage Intacct, credit card systems, Vena budgets, and Knack data management.
- Trains and supports staff in use of these applications for budgeting, expense management, and reporting.
- Supports VP of Financial Planning and Analysis in monitoring applications as assigned.
Accounting Department Team
- Serves as back-up to Accounts Payable and Member Funds Specialist in their absence or as needed.
- Supports other Accounting Team members as needed in order to ensure highest level of accounting standards and customer service.
- Recommends and implements approved changes to improve accuracy, efficiency, and coordination of Accounting Team functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or related field.
- At least one (1) year of Accounts Payable or Cost Accounting experience; two or more (2+) years of experience is preferred.
- Competency in IT applications and data management is required; expertise is preferred.
- An in-depth understanding of GAAP and all regulations pertaining to their areas of responsibilities.
- Proficiency in computerized accounting and spreadsheet applications, like Excel.
- The ability to effectively coordinate the completion of tasks with other employees as needed.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- The ability to work independently, exercising sound judgement.
- Ability to attend all Accounting Department meetings, coordination meetings with other departments, required training, and other agency meetings as directed by the VP of Planning and Analysis.
- Ability to maintain the highest professional and ethical standards at all times.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The salary range is $65,000 - $80,000. New Horizons offers a generous benefits package, including medical, dental, vacation, sick, holidays, 401(k), and tuition reimbursement policy. This is a full-time, on-site position, located in North Hills, CA.
New Horizons is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. Individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, including persons with disabilities and veterans.
Envision Consulting was retained by New Horizons to conduct the search for their incoming AP/Cost Accountant.
Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application process may contact Envision Consulting at 626.889.7905 to request and arrange for assistance.