GRANTS & OPERATIONS MANAGER
ABOUT THE HERB ALPERT FOUNDATION
The Herb Alpert Foundation was founded by Herb Alpert and Lani Hall Alpert in 1988. Mr. Alpert is a trumpet player, producer, visual artist, philanthropist and co-founder of the independent label A&M Records (with partner Jerry Moss). In honor of the many ways that music impacted their lives, the Foundation awards approximately 100 grants to a variety of organizations from large institutions such as the UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music to community focused nonprofits working in the following program areas: Arts Education, Focus on Jazz, Support to Professionals, and Compassion & Well Being. The Herb Alpert Foundation envisions a world where all young people are blessed with opportunities that allow them to reach their potential and lead productive and fulfilling lives.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Reporting to the Foundation President, the Grants & Operations Manager will provide operations and administrative support to the grant making process of the Foundation, providing research, analysis and context as needed. This position will network with staff, trustees, family members, grantees, and external consultants. The Grants and Operations Manager will be responsible for maintaining the grantee database and Foundation website, preparing accurate and timely reports on present and historical giving, corresponding with grantees and others with clarity, conciseness, and creativity, and coordinating communications, travel and other operational needs. The Grants and Operations Manager is also greatly involved with the Public Relations team with press releases, event planning, and participating in meetings, convenings and Foundation events.
The ideal candidate will have strong proficiencies in administrative processes and systems including budgeting and contract management, and a background in the arts and/or the nonprofit/philanthropy sector is desirable. As a member of a small, dynamic team, the Grants & Operations Manager will contribute by being flexible to the needs of the Foundation and being adaptable to shifting priorities.
- Provides administrative support to the President and Senior Program Officer.
- Works closely with the President preparing presentation materials, board summaries, and mailings.
- Updates and maintains the grants management database to keep contact and financial information current.
- Produces various daily, monthly, and year-end reports.
- Drafts, executes, and sends correspondence.
- Provides the accounting department with a monthly schedule of projected grants.
- Prepares and submits check and wire transfer requests within the approval process.
- Supports the completion of the outside yearly audit.
- Processes credit cards statements, staff and travel expenses
- Submits approved invoices for payment as well as contractually obligated payments.
- Works to improve functionality, efficiency, and user-friendliness of the grants management process and system.
- Prepares briefings in anticipation of meeting with grantees, funders, and vendors.
- Maintains calendar, email lists, house accounts, and supplies.
- Sends and responds to emails and texts, sets up video conferences as directed.
- Creates meeting agendas, prepares for visitors, and takes meeting notes.
- Maintains grantee files including approvals, payment copies and gift acknowledgments, both in hard copy and online forms.
Program Operational Support
- Provides the President and Senior Program Officer with current grantee background information, contacts, requested data, as well as financial and historical information.
- Assists the President and Senior Program Officer with strategic grant planning and budgeting.
- Inputs, analyzes, and distributes financial data.
- Calendars and alerts staff on upcoming grant renewal dates and sends report requests to grantees.
- Reads and analyzes grant renewals, reports, and recommendations.
- Reviews and collects 990’s, 501(c)3 designation letters, IRS status, and research obtained from websites and the internet.
- Prepares and ensures completeness of grant requests, including checks, grant letters, and grantee agreements.
- Performs project and program-related research as assigned.
- Brings relevant thoughts and ideas into concrete, coherent actions related to daily tasks and internal processes.
- Works with the President and Communications team to develop program communication strategies and priorities.
- Collaborates in the development and distribution of communication materials to appropriate audiences – e.g. press releases, articles, reports, blogs, tweets, etc.
- Produces the year-end “Summary of Giving” book and additional reports as needed.
- Updates the Herb Alpert Foundation WordPress website.
- Reviews relevant articles, press releases, and digital media.
- Prepares tribute ads and materials for events and galas.
- Works with the printer to produce holiday cards.
- Coordinates program-related events such as internal and external meetings, conferences, and presentations.
- Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree preferred. Program related experience preferred or an equivalent blend of education and experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience, preferably in the arts and/or nonprofit sector.
- An understanding of grantmaking and the nonprofit sector are highly desired and experience working closely with executives or in management is a plus.
- Should have a general knowledge of accounting practices.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, G-Suite, and data collection systems.
- Experience with Filemaker, Survey Monkey, WordPress, Dropbox, and Photoshop preferred.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Critical thinking skills to analyze and summarize reports.
- Strong oral communication and relationship-building skills; interacts with others in a professional and diplomatic way.
- Solid organizational skills, able to effectively manage and prioritize workflow to meet deadlines, and is highly attentive to detail.
- Works well independently and collaboratively within a team.
- Demonstrates a high degree of initiative, resourcefulness, and flexibility to meet needs of the role.
- Ability to continually seek new approaches to the process.
- Dedication to the mission.
- Strong sense of integrity and work ethic.
- Ideal characteristics include: enthusiastic, self-motivated, collaborative, interpersonal savvy, situational adaptability, and professional and welcoming demeanor.
- Ability to maintain high degree of discretion and confidentiality.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The Herb Alpert Foundation offers a competitive salary, based on experience. The Foundation values the health and well-being of their employees. Highlights of the current benefits package include: paid holidays, paid vacation, medical and dental benefits, and on-site parking. Professional learning and development through participation in professional conferences and seminars is also encouraged and supported. This position is currently remote with an office in Santa Monica.
Work is performed in an office environment and requires the ability to operate standard office equipment and keyboards. Regular use of telephone, email, and video conferencing for communication is essential and sitting or standing at a desk for extended periods of time is common. Regular attendance during office hours is expected and some occasional travel around the Los Angeles area may be required.
The Herb Alpert Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. Individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, including persons with disabilities and veterans.
Envision Consulting was retained by The Herb Alpert Foundation to conduct the search for their incoming Grants & Operations Manager.
Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application process may contact Envision Consulting at 626.889.7905 to request and arrange for assistance.