ABOUT SAFE PARKING LA
By employing underutilized parking lots, Safe Parking LA fills a gap in homeless services and addresses the unique problems faced by adults and families whose only source of shelter is their vehicle. Our programs provide safety through secure overnight parking, basic dignity by restoring much-needed access to restrooms and running water, and empowerment through strengths-based case management to a return to stable housing.
Founded in 2017, Safe Parking LA is now the largest safe parking program in Los Angeles and is the only provider of safe lots exclusively focused on vehicular homelessness. We currently operate in San Fernando Valley, Hollywood, Downtown Los Angeles, LAX and West Los Angeles including a program on the Veteran’s Administration campus.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) is tasked with advancing Safe Parking LA’s mission and goals, this includes evaluating program execution, setting clear success metrics, and ensuring alignment with the organization's mission. An excellent communicator, the Executive Director acts as the primary organizational spokesperson, engaging with various constituencies, both internal and external.
Building upon their experience in financial management, the ED will manage a budget of over $3 million, predominantly sourced from LAHSA contracts, with the remainder secured from private entities, such as foundations, corporations, and individuals. Building and nurturing donor relationships and spearheading fundraising efforts are essential components of this role. The ideal candidate has worked in homeless services and is adept at navigating the funding landscape of Los Angeles. With a dedicated staff of 22, the Executive Director, serves as a visionary leader with a comprehensive approach to leadership. Their role involves actively engaging with the staff to foster collaboration and productivity while implementing operational efficiencies. Additionally, they are committed to enhancing the organizational culture, ensuring a positive and cohesive work environment while navigating the urgent need for program expansion to meet demand.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Organizational Leadership & Strategy
- Work with the Board and Executive Team to create and implement a strategic plan that aligns with Safe Parking LA’s core values, mission, and vision.
- Guide and oversee the overall tactical leadership of the organization including operations, programming, advocacy, fundraising, and finances.
- Create a cohesive, collaborative and supportive workplace environment, developing the leadership team while retaining, supporting and recruiting quality staff and volunteers.
- Manage and implement an effective performance management system for all employees that include an annual objective setting and evaluation.
- Support Board in governance, fundraising, and strategic initiatives through partnership on strategy and administrative support on execution.
- Steward Board relationships and keep board members engaged in the mission and the impact their contributions make.
Financial Management & Fundraising
- Maintain relationships and manage communications with major donors, loyalty donors and lapsed donors, both individual and corporate.
- Implement a Marketing & Communications Plan to support donor engagement and fund development.
- Report, manage, and update budgets, providing regular reports to the Board of Directors.
- Monitor current and future revenue streams including individual donations, grants and annual fundraising events.
Community Engagement and Advocacy
- Continue to raise the public profile of Safe Parking LA by serving as its spokesperson and advocate, as well as being a visible, visionary, and influential leader and fundraiser in the community.
- Enhance city and county partnerships and elected officials as well as increasing the reach beyond those sectors.
- Develop and execute innovative event strategies that not only serve as fundraising opportunities, but also foster a sense of community and engagement among stakeholders, donors, and supporters.
- Maintain Safe Parking LA as a thought partner and leader in the field of Prevention and Ending of Homelessness.
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience in progressively responsible roles, including executive management positions in the nonprofit sector.
- At least three years of experience in an Executive Director or senior management position.
- Demonstrated experience in the Unhoused/Homelessness and Community organizations, preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage a diverse team of staff members.
- Ability to maintain the vision while being responsive to changing regulatory, political, and fiscal environments.
- Demonstrated fundraising success with major donors, private foundations and institutional partnerships.
- Demonstrated belief in and a commitment to continued professional growth and development of employees, volunteers and the Board of Directors.
- A demonstrated ability for exceptional fiscal management (including creation and management of budgets), organizational and administrative skills.
- The ability to plan, set goals and objectives, organize, and follow through.
- A strong interpersonal and communication skill set and demonstrated ability to work effectively with and gain the respect and support of varied and changing constituencies including staff members, advisory board members, potential donors, volunteers, and the like.
- Computer literate working with Word and Excel, Google Suites, Microsoft Teams and able to learn new software, as needed.
- Demonstrated experience with community engagement, especially in regard to creating and implementing strategic outreach, marketing, and social media.
- Demonstrated commitment and passion for assisting unsheltered individuals and families through the provision of safe parking resources and relationships with other relevant organizations and leaders.
- The ability to work weekend hours when needed.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The salary range is $150k - $160k. Safe Parking LA offers benefits that include full coverage of medical, dental, and vision, paid holiday, sick time, and vacation, a 403(b) plan, a pet savings plan, life insurance and flex spending. The Executive Director will be provided with a laptop computer, cell phone and a technology stipend. This is a hybrid position with remote and on-site work.
Safe Parking LA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or different ability.
Envision Consulting was retained by the Safe Parking LA to conduct the search for their incoming Executive Director.
Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application process may contact Envision Consulting at 626.889.7905 to request and arrange for assistance.