Executive Director of American Muslim Health Professionals
About American Muslim Health Professionals
American Muslim Health Professionals (AMHP)’s mission is to strengthen the impact of Muslim health professionals to improve the health and wellness of all Americans. AMHP brings together a community of activists, health advocates, clinicians, and other health professionals committed to public health, civic engagement, and social justice. Since the organization’s founding in 2004, AMHP members have been at the forefront of public health and policy issues. AMHP’s core areas of focus are professional development, mental health, and advocacy for underserved communities.
About The Position
The Executive Director will have overall operational and strategic responsibility for AMHP's staff, programs, expansion, and execution of its mission. In collaboration with the President and Board of Directors, the Executive Director will implement a strategic and operational plan that meets the organization’s mission and values. As an experienced advocate for the Muslim community, the Executive Director will routinely interact with community leaders, funders, governmental agency personnel, thought leaders and influencers, and key organizational stakeholders.
Senior Leadership & Organizational Management
- Implement organizational strategy and encourage a mission-centric culture to deliver on the vision and goals of AMHP.
- Provide day-to-day oversight of all AMHP’s operations, activities, administration, finance, development, outreach, programs, and compliance.
- Oversee recruitment, onboarding, and performance evaluation of all staff. Ensure roles and responsibilities of staff are clearly delineated and institute accountability.
- Lead, coach, develop, and manage staff, interns, and volunteers. Promote a collaborative culture that fosters open and frequent communication, cooperation, and shared accountability.
- Lead an inclusive strategic planning process and ensure that planning decisions are used in setting annual and project goals. Manage timelines and resources needed to achieve strategic objectives.
- Oversee strategic planning as well as tactical and budget planning, ensuring transparency and accountability
- Employ operational systems to evaluate program components, measure success, and effectively communicate outcomes to the Board, funders, and key stakeholders.
- Lead communication and outreach and increase the visibility of AMHP.
- Lead evaluations of institutional effectiveness, management quality, staff satisfaction, and assessment of institutional needs regularly and assess and implement recommended changes.
Fundraising & Development
- Develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising program and annual plan.
- Expand fundraising activities to support organizational growth and program operations.
- Directly participate in the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major gifts.
- Expand and diversify AMHP’s funding base by identifying and cultivating relationships with individuals, foundations, institutional/corporate supporters, and donor institutions.
- Cultivate relationships with existing foundations and institutional donors.
- Ensure compliance with donor requirements, approved budgets, and project objectives.
- Oversee grant processes, including proposal writing, reporting requirements, communicating with representatives of various funding organizations, keeping track of grant deadlines, and the timing for reapplication.
Board Relations & Governance
- Partner with the Board of Directors to fulfill governance responsibilities and expand Board engagement and support in fundraising, networking, and related activities.
- Provide direction and recommendations to the Board to ensure effective and transparent governance.
- Share feedback from partners and stakeholders with the Board to foster continuous improvement of AMHP’s work.
- Serve as a liaison between the Board and AMHP’s staff, ensuring that concerns are communicated, and decisions shared.
- Support planning and implementation of board meetings and retreats.
- Develop internal procedures manuals/forms/policies in collaboration with the Board of Directors.
- Assist the Board and the President in implementing AMHP’s strategic plan, values, mission, vision, and short- and long-term goals.
- Provide fiscally sound management and oversight of the organization; ensure that financial resources are available to support AMHP’s short and long-term operational and programmatic needs.
- Recommend yearly budget for Board approval and prudently manage resources within those budget guidelines according to laws and regulations.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree; a Master’s degree in non-profit management or business administration is preferred. Candidates with a background in health-related fields will be given strong consideration.
- At least 3-5 years of experience leading an organization or department at a non-profit organization.
- Excellent organizational, collaboration, development, interpersonal, communication, leadership, conflict resolution and personnel development and management skills are essential.
- Strong business acumen with experience overseeing financial management, including budget development and accountability measures. Understanding of budget preparation, analysis, and reporting is required.
- Prior experience working with the Muslim community through volunteer or professional work.
- Is a visionary and possesses a passion for AMHP’s mission.
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical initiatives.
- A track record of successful fundraising and grant-making is preferred.
- Ability to think strategically and programmatically and successfully manage diverse operations.
- Ability to build strong and collaborative teams, and encourage communication, excellence, and accountability.
- Strong problem-solving skills for developing creative solutions and meeting project objectives.
Compensation & Benefits
The salary range is $70,000 to $90,000, commensurate with experience, along with a range of enticing benefits. These include an annual bonus, 15 days (3 weeks) of Paid Time Off (with potential for up to 5 weeks with 5+ years of service), 12 paid holidays (including federal holidays, Eid-al-Adha, Eid-al-Fitr, and Juneteenth), 2 floating holidays, and 8 sick days. You will also have access to professional development opportunities and stipends for equipment and health insurance coverage (monthly with proof of marketplace coverage). This is a full-time position with a flexible work environment and schedule. Some evenings, weekends, and travel will be required.
American Muslim Health Professionals is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Envision Consulting was retained by American Muslim Health Professionals to conduct the search for their incoming Executive Director.