A PLACE CALLED HOME
CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER
ABOUT A PLACE CALLED HOME
Now in its 29th year, A Place Called Home is a dynamic youth/family/community center serving historic South Central Los Angeles, where primarily BIPOC youth are growing up in poverty and facing entrenched adversities. At APCH, youth ages 8 -24 years old are empowered to take ownership of the quality and direction of their lives through programs in education, arts, well-being, college scholarships and employment preparation; and are inspired to make a meaningful difference in their community and the world.
With a core ethos rooted in social justice and equity, APCH provides in-person and virtual programs spanning education, counseling, mentoring, music, dance, visual and digital art, athletics, nutrition, gardening, college and job preparation. A Place Called Home has sent more than 500 first-generation college scholars to colleges and universities in CA and across the country.
A Place Called Home provides a safe, nurturing environment with proven programs in arts, education and wellness for the young people in South Central Los Angeles to help them improve their economic conditions and develop healthy, fulfilling and purposeful lives.
The Chief Administrative Officer oversees and manages the internal day-to-day operations and agency-wide systems, while partnering with others on the Executive Management Team (EMT) on executing strategic organizational plans and goals.
Reporting to the CEO, the CAO will oversee Human Resources and Finance departments, working closely with the Chief Program Officer to support their operations as well. The CAO will have both internal and external facing responsibilities, ranging from project management, business development, framing of key approaches, delivery of written products; to strategic direction, administration and reporting for the departments they oversee. In addition, the CAO will development and maintain knowledgeable partnerships with the APCH Board and Development Leadership, community partners and representatives, and key vendors.
- Act as a key thought partner with the CEO and EMT to implement processes for successful goals as laid out in the organizational strategic plan.
- Identify best sector practices and improve internal systems within the annual budget, goals, and future planning.
- Uphold, articulate, and maintain the core values of APCH through execution of its mission and investment in healthy, innovative and a thriving workplace ecosystem.
- Monitor and promote organizational culture and values, supporting a positive work experience for all employees.
- Work with CEO and EMT to coordinate and support EMT meetings.
- Manage and serve applicable board committees (i.e., Real Estate, Finance & Audit).
- Provide reports to the Board of Directors and attend all Board and Committee meetings as assigned.
- Identify opportunities to cultivate leadership among staff, including developing and enhancing mentoring and communications systems, and serving as an internal consultant to managers in various employee situations.
- Provide oversight and leadership for the Finance Department. Work together with Board and staff to prepare and submit an annual organizational budget.
- Provide diligent fiscal oversight to operate effectively within approved budget and report regularly and accurately on financial progress, challenges, and projections.
- Review and approve preparation and dissemination of monthly financial reports and metrics for Board, staff, and CEO.
- Oversee financial forecasting and cash flow for administration, existing programs and proposed expansions/additions.
- Provide oversight and leadership for annual audits (financial, worker’s compensation, payroll, etc.).
- Provide oversight of purchasing, credit card management, travel and related finance systems, policies, and procedures.
- Provide oversight and direction to HR Specialists to ensure compliance with governing laws and agencies.
- Responsible for establishing and overseeing employee engagement initiatives and policies governing the Employee Engagement Committee and the Annual Employee Engagement survey.
- Handle details of internal and external confidential and critical communications with discretion and independent judgement.
- Collaborate with HR Specialists to lead performance management processes, measuring evaluating and reporting on progress against organizational goals and in accordance with state requirements.
- Collaborate with HR Specialist to oversee development of agency wide professional development and training opportunities that will help improve employee capacity, staff retention, and continued alignment with A Place Called Home.
- Provide oversight and direction of corrective action procedures.
- Serve as an objective investigator for claims of harassment of unethical practices within the agency. Review findings and present recommendations to Executive Director and Board of Directors as needed.
- Supervise and provide oversight and direction to Director of Building and Safety Operations who leads the custodial, maintenance, transportation, and security departments.
- Support and work closely with the Programs Department to ensure facility effectiveness for the facilities.
- Recruit, hire and evaluate all custodial, maintenance, security and transportation staff and tends to issues in these departments as needed.
- Oversee risk management compliance, liability insurance carriers and interaction with oversight agencies.
- Oversee Director of Operations to manage physical campus maintenance and improvements to ensure compliance with building and safety regulations as well as efficiency and excellence for fulfillment of program goals.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in financial management and accounting.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience managing Human Resource functions strongly preferred including personnel, compensation, recruiting, and claims investigation/resolution.
- Knowledge and experience working with QuickBooks and/or other financial software.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite.
- Excellent organizational management skills with ability to command respect, earn trust and coach senior-level staff to manage and develop high performance teams and implement strategies and solutions.
- Proven ability to work with efficiency, flexibility, and good humor.
- Transparent, direct, with substance, spark, imagination, and creativity.
- Demonstrated success in execution of multiple high level strategic and operational tasks while responding to short- and long-term organizational priorities.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain professional and productive relationships with a wide array of people – junior and senior, from diverse backgrounds.
- Commitment and ease with diversity and work in multicultural populations.
- Analytic and decisive decision maker with ability to report conditions to CEO along with clear recommendations, and to prioritize communicate key objectives and tactics to staff for optimal goal achievement.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to sustain productivity under pressure, not intimidated by tasks, time, limitations, and obstacles.
- Valid driver’s license with clear DMV record.
- Bilingual/Spanish speaking a plus.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary range is $125K-165K plus a competitive benefits package. This is an in-person position at A Place Called Home's offices located in Los Angeles, CA.
APCH is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively seeks a diverse candidate pool. All applicants will be considered for employment including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirement of applicable federal, state, and local laws. All applicants will also be considered without attention to race or ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
Envision Consulting was retained by A Place Called Home to conduct the search for their incoming Chief Administrative Officer.
Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application process may contact Envision Consulting at 626.889.7905 to request and arrange for assistance.